High Ground Cemetery at the old Hill Grove
Back to Hill Grove page. Back to Shacklett page. Back to Stith Valley front page.
photos 26 September 2003 Compilation of grave stones by Frances Shacklett Fast, November 1940.
This view is from the top of the ridge to the north of the present Hill Grove Church.
The view is across a hollow. The ridge
continues around the hollow to the right and on to the cemetery which is marked by a red arrow.
This is a view of the cemetery from the old road the goes by. The grave stone of
Rachel Ashcraft Shacklett is
marked by a black arrow.
This is a close-up of Rachel Ashcraft Shacklett's
This is a close-up of the grave stone of General Blancet Shacklett. It is lying
ground in several pieces near that of his wife, Rachel's, stone.
This stone reads "Elijah Ashcraft, Born Oct 17_4, Dead Jan 10, 1829"
This is Thomas J. Stith inspecting an old barn near the cemetery. These two old
barns are the only buildings left of a fairly
extensive settlement that used to stand in the area near the cemetery.